According to STLTODAY, the BMW was fixed and ready to go, but when they came to pick it up on June 9, 2019, the teenager and his mother who owned the car argued with the mechanic.

They tried to leave with the car, but without paying the bill, so mechanic Kerry Charley refused to let them take it.

The fight, on Prairie Avenue outside the mechanic’s home, turned deadly.

Court documents filed at St. Louis Circuit Court on Tuesday, July 9, describe the moments that led up to the attack a month ago. They said Isaiah Gholson, 17, pulled a gun and shot Charley several times in the torso, killing him.

Meanwhile, Gholson’s mother, Ranada Anthony, was pushing and hitting Charley’s girlfriend.

Police said that as the girlfriend ran off, the teenager shot the 32-year-old girlfriend twice in the back. The woman survived but was critically injured.

The crime was not reported to the police by either the teen or his mother. Police said Gholson and Anthony deny being at Charley’s home in Prairie Avenue’s 3600 blocks. But police said that Charley kept records of the cars he fixed at home, and the BMW was registered to Anthony.

Gholson is charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault, two counts of armed criminal action, and failure to report a shooting.

Anthony, 39, is charged with a third-degree assault, failure to report a shooting, and hindering prosecution.

After hearing gunshots just before 4 p.m., a park ranger at Fairground Park called the police to the scene on June 9. The police came and found both victims.
Gholson lives in Enright Avenue’s 3800 blocks. He was detained without bail. Anthony, 39, lives in Chippewa Avenue’s 2600 block. Her bail was set at $25,000, cash only.

The victim’s sister, Cindy, revealed Charley was a very, very generous person. He was always willing to help someone in need when they came to get their vehicles. She said, “He loved working on cars, it was like a passion for him.”

His sister said Charley would repair cars at a fraction of what a typical repair shop would charge, and would allow customers to make installments so they could have a reliable vehicle.

Charley worked on cars in the street, in the yard, and his goal was to open his own three-car garage repair shop this year.

Charley had three adult children. She added Charley was “tough on the outside but very gentle on the inside.”

Hours after his death, some family members went to the house to retrieve some of the belongings of Charley. They searched for the tools he had purchased with inheritance money after his mother died in December for the $3,000 to $4,000, Cindy said.

She said she knew Charley lived in the Jeff-Vander-Lou tough neighborhood, but he never complained to her about crime.

She said that his goal was to help people, “People who couldn’t afford a legit repair shop.”

Tags: Categories: U.S.