House Democrats might remain focused on impeaching the president, but meanwhile, he is giving Americans an early Christmas present.
His Christmas stocking for the American people includes having sealed two trade deals, plus one on defense and another on parental leave, not to mention the inspector general’s report—the list goes on. Here are just some of the president’s achievements over the past week.
The Washington Examiner’s Paul Bedard highlighted just some of Trump’s accomplishments this week, which include:
- An agreement on a new U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal
- A new budget that blocks any government shutdown and includes over $1.3 billion for a border wall
- House approval of the U.S. Space Force, a brand-new branch of the military
- Government family leave that will be a model for a proposal for the public
- Tentative agreement on trade with China
- The 50th federal appeals judge has been approved
- A new Food and Drug Administration chief has been confirmed
- A pro-Israel anti-Semitism executive order has been signed
- Add to the list New Jersey Democratic Congressman Jeff Van Drew most likely jumping the Democrats sinking ship and joining the Republicans
Plus, after the president announced the phase one trade deal with China, the stock market had a record jump.
CNBC reports: The S&P 500 gained 0.9% to end the day at 3,168.57, notching a record close. The Nasdaq Composite also posted an all-time closing high, rising 0.7% to 8,717.32. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 220.75 points higher, or 0.8%, at 28,132.05. All three of the major averages reached intraday records, their first since Nov. 27.
Announcing the trade deal with China, the president tweeted, “We have agreed to a very large Phase One Deal with China. They have agreed to many structural changes and massive purchases of agricultural product, energy, and manufactured goods, plus much more. The 25% tariffs will remain as is, with 7.5% put on much of the remainder. The penalty tariffs set for December 15th will not be charged because of the fact that we made the deal. We will begin negotiations on the Phase Two Deal immediately, rather than waiting until after the 2020 Election. This is an amazing deal for all. Thank you!”
President Trump’s biographer Doug Wead commented on the president’s actions in the shadow of impeachment hanging over him.
“Perhaps, for now, what he accomplished this week will be overshadowed by the impeachment, but by next summer, the impeachment may be seen as mean-spirited and partisan, and the string of victories will add to his incredible list of victories going into re-election season,” he said.