Nature occasionally presents something that appears to have sprung straight out of a horror movie.

Fox News reported that workers at a Texas state park recently shared a photo of a fish with a living parasite in its mouth instead of a tongue.

The photo was posted to the Galveston Island State Park Facebook page on Oct. 19 by Texas Parks and Wildlife officials.

The post read, “Inside this Atlantic Croaker’s mouth is a parasitic isopod called a tongue-eating louse. This parasite detaches the fish’s tongue, attaches itself to the fish’s mouth, and becomes its tongue. The parasite then feeds on the fish’s mucus. It also happens to be the only known case where a parasite functionally replaces a host’s organ. It does not kill the fish or affect humans.”

It cuts off the blood veins in the tongue, causing the tongue to fall off. Then, the parasite survives by feeding off the fish’s mucus.

Many commenters seemed surprised by the photo.

One person wrote: “I know that some say it won’t hurt you, but I would never eat any fish if this thing was found inside it.”

According to Société Jersiaise marine researcher Paul Chambers, if you separate the louse from the host, the louse may bite you.

“It doesn’t affect humans other than if you do actually come across a live one and try and pick it up—they are quite vicious, they will deliver a good nip,” Chambers said.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.