The bodies of 33 victims from a scuba diving boat fire off Southern California have been recovered and one was still missing on Wednesday, Sept. 4, according to authorities.
The new count of confirmed dead came after 13 bodies were recovered on Tuesday, Sept. 3, said Coast Guard Lt. Zach Farrell, a representative for the interagency joint information center in Santa Barbara representing local, county, state, and federal officials involved in the case.
The victims identified so far include high school students, a science teacher and his daughter, a family of five celebrating a birthday, and a marine biologist.
The boat caught fire before dawn on Monday, Sept. 2.
Authorities previously said that 34 people aboard who slept below decks were presumed dead near the island of Santa Cruz during a three-day scuba diving excursion.
Five crew members survived, including the captain, according to officials.
Includes reporting from The Associated Press