10-year-old Aaron Carreto’s life changed forever on his birthday earlier this month when he was playing outside his home in Compton, California. Two neighbors threw a lit homemade firework at the boy, which exploded, claiming the boy’s left hand, his family said, according to KTLA.

The young patient is still fighting to recover from injuries after undergoing four operations that also included burns to his face and stomach, older sister Adriana Carreto wrote on an online fundraising website. He initially lost all the fingers on his left hand due to the injuries in the incident on July 6, 2019.

The men threw the firework at Aaron just before it exploded, leaving the boy no time to react, she said.

“This incident changed his life, (his) way of living, but not his spirits. He’s very caring and aware of other people’s needs,” she wrote.

Aaron likes to ride his bicycle with friends around the neighborhood and play video games, Adriana Carreto added, “Now, without his hand, he won’t be able to live a normal life like any other kid would.”

At least two more operations are planned, his sister said, in addition to his physical injuries, the experience has also been psychologically traumatic.

“He tells his family how he feels betrayed by those people around us and wants to start a new life far away from where he grew up,” she said.

One of the men believed to be involved in the incident has been arrested, the second is still being questioned, family members said.

A GoFundMe account has been established online to help the boy’s family.

Categories: U.S. California