A lawyer for a Nevada woman alleging that soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo raped her in 2009 calls her client “emotionally fragile” and says she accepted a settlement back then because she never wanted her name made public.

Attorney Larissa Drohobyczer (droh-HO’-bit-zer) said Tuesday that Kathryn Mayorga is currently out of the U.S. and isn’t speaking with the media about a civil lawsuit she filed last week against Ronaldo.

The Associated Press doesn’t typically identify alleged victims of sexual assault, but Drohobyczer said Mayorga gave permission.

Trees line the Palms hotel and casino Monday, Oct. 1, 2018, in Las Vegas. Cristiano Ronaldo is being sued by a Nevada woman who said he raped her in the penthouse suite of a the hotel in 2009 and then dispatched a team of “fixers” to obstruct the criminal investigation and trick her into keeping quiet for $375,000. The suit filed Thursday asks the Clark County District Court to void the 2010 settlement and non-disclosure agreement, claiming the woman was so traumatized by the events that she was incapable of participating in negotiations. (AP Photo/John Locher)

The lawsuit alleges Ronaldo raped the woman at a Las Vegas hotel penthouse and had what the lawsuit called “fixers” obstruct a police investigation and trick Mayorga into keeping quiet for $375,000.

Las Vegas police confirmed Monday they’ve reopened a sexual assault investigation at Mayorga’s request.

Ronaldo’s attorney in Berlin, Christian Schertz, did not immediately respond to email requests for comment.

Source: The Associated Press

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.