In an assault outside the Capitol on Friday, April 2, a man rammed a car into two officers at a barricade and got out of the vehicle, threatening with a knife.

Video shows the driver of the crashed car emerging with the knife in his hand and lunging at the pair of officers after refusing order to stop; Capitol Police Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters.

U.S. Capitol Police Officer William “Billy” Evans was killed, and another officer injured who is now in stable condition. The perpetrator was shot and died afterward in the hospital.

“I just ask that the public continue to keep U.S. Capitol Police and their families in your prayers,” Pittman said. “This has been an extremely difficult time for U.S. Capitol Police after the events of January 6 and now the events that have occurred here today.”

Members of Parliament and workers usually use the safety check on workdays, but legislators are on recess. On the Capitol Senate section, the assault took place about 100 yards (91 meters) from the building’s gate. The fence that had previously prohibited transport from approaching that location had just recently been taken down.

According to sources, Noah Green, a 25-year-old Indiana man with links to Virginia and the Islamic State, has been named the perpetrator in the Capitol assault.

There seems no instant connection between Friday’s incident and the violence on January 6.

Green does not appear on the security screen, according to the police. However, the assault indicates that the building and campus and the law enforcement agents tasked with defending them — stay vulnerable to threat.

Facebook quickly removed self-described “follower of Farrakhan” Noah Green’s profile page shortly after media identified him Friday as the assailant. Green’s posts on social media showed that he effusively praised the radical Farrakhan, an outspoken anti-Semite, and his predecessor, Elijah Muhammad.

Employees at the United States Capitol were advised they couldn’t enter or exit either of the premises. National Guard soldiers were seen mobilizing near the incident site on camera.


As the incident happened President Joe Biden had already left the White House for Camp David. He was traveling with a participant of the National Security Council Staff, who was to update him on the crash, as usual.

The inquiry is still in its initial phases according to authorities, seeing as there is no immediate risk.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.