President Trump wasn’t overly concerned with North Korea’s short-range ballistic missile tests on Thursday, July 25, he told reporters in the White House on Friday before leaving the Oval Office. One reporter commented the president didn’t seem surprised by the tests, and Trump responded, “Not at all.” The two missiles were fired from Wonsan, a town on the east coast, and traveled 375 miles before landing in the East Sea.
President Trump said, “Many people have those missiles,” and didn’t consider them a threat to negotiations with the United States. “Well, he didn’t say a warning to the United States, I can tell you that. He didn’t send a warning to the United States,”
“But they’re short-range missiles—and very standard missiles,” he added. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Bloomberg Television there was no reason for concern, as it was just a negotiating tactic, “Everybody tries to get ready for negotiations and create leverage and create risk for the other side,” he said on Friday. “We remain convinced that there’s a diplomatic way forward, a negotiated solution to this.”
“President Trump has been incredibly consistent here. “We want diplomacy to work,” Pompeo said in the interview. “If it takes another two weeks or four weeks, so be it,” said Pompeo. Trump has previously said shorter-range missiles are not a breach of Kim’s promise to stop tests of a nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile, in his opinion.
After leaving the White House on Friday night, the president and first lady arrived in a motorcade unannounced at Trump International Hotel in Washington and surprised onlookers in the lobby, who were keen to heap praise on the president, with some lucky ones able to meet the president. .
While another added, “Donald and Melania just walked out of Trump Hotel in DC and he confirmed that the food indeed is good.”
With no public events on the schedule for the weekend, perhaps the couple were out celebrating, as Trump tweeted on Friday evening, “Wow! Big VICTORY on the Wall. The United States Supreme Court overturns lower court injunction, allows Southern Border Wall to proceed. Big WIN for Border Security and the Rule of Law!”