Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday, Sept. 10, revealed that the public will soon hear more bombshell information related to the Russia investigation.
Graham’s comments came after newly released documents from the Department of Justice showed that the cellphones of multiple people on then-Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation team were “wiped” during the Russia probe.
Citing various reasons including forgotten passcodes, loss of device, and intentional deletion, at least several dozen phones were wiped of information before being reviewed by the DOJ’s Office of Inspector General (OIG), the records showed.
“If you can’t manage your own phone, why should we trust you to investigate a crime?” Graham said during a Thursday interview with Fox News’s ‘Hannity.'” “The question is, did they obstruct justice, did they intentionally delete information from their phone because [Inspector General Michael] Horowitz was on the case?”
“You think you are mad about the phones being wiped? Stay tuned,” Graham told host Sean Hannity. “We’ll talk in about 10 or 12 days and we’ll see if there is something else you can get mad about.”
Graham hinted that his committee, which is investigating the origins of the Russia probe, including abuses of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), Mueller’s appointment, the unmasking process, recently invited former FBI Director James Comey, former FBI official Peter Strzok, and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe to testify on their involvement in the Russia probe.
The Senate Judiciary Committee released documents in July suggesting that senior FBI officials were initially skeptical of the emerging narrative early in Donald Trump’s presidency that his campaign was in contact with Russian intelligence officers.
“We have not seen evidence of any officials associated with the Trump team in contact with [intelligence officers],” wrote Strzok. “We are unaware of ANY Trump advisers engaging in conversations with Russian intelligence officials.”
Strzok also indicated that Christopher Steele, the former British intelligence agent whose dossier was used by the FBI to secure surveillance of a Trump campaign adviser in 2016, may not have been able to adequately judge whether the sources he relied on for his dossier were reliable.
“The statements by Mr. Strzok question the entire premise of the FBI’s investigation of the Trump Campaign and make it even more outrageous that the Mueller team continued this investigation for almost two and a half years,” Graham said.
Graham told Hannity that he would be “shocked” if former FBI attorney Kevin Clinesmith was the only person to face charges in the investigation led by the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut John Durham.
Clinesmith last month pleaded guilty to altering a June 2017 CIA email to state that former Trump campaign associate Carter Page was “not a source” for the agency while Page was an operational contact for the CIA from 2008 through 2013.