President Trump got several wins from federal courts on Friday, July 19.
The first case was regarding the subpoenas from Democrats for Trump Organization’s financial records. A federal judge temporarily halted the subpoenas.
CNN reported on Friday, “Judge Emmet Sullivan made the decision Friday shortly after the appeals court above him said it wanted to hear the emoluments case.”
“The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said Friday it should hear the case, about the emoluments clause of the Constitution, before the Democrats collect evidence. But the court isn’t ready to hear the case just yet. The panel of three judges directed the Justice Department and the lower court on Friday to take more legal steps, because of legal technicalities, before it will hear the case,” CNN reported.
Democrats have issued 37 subpoenas seeking financial information about President Trump properties, which include Mar-a-Lago resort, the Trump International Hotel, Trump Tower, and others.
President Trump’s lawyer, Jay Sekulow welcomed the news, saying, “We are pleased that the investigation surrounding these ridiculous campaign finance allegations is now closed,” Jay Sekulow said in a statement. “We have maintained from the outset that the president never engaged in any campaign finance violation.”
Another case regarding President Trump alternative to “Obamacare” as federal judge is upholding the Trump administration’s expansion of cheaper short-term health insurance plans as an alternative to the Affordable Care Act’s costlier comprehensive insurance, according to AP.
U.S. District Court Judge Richard J. Leon in Washington, D.C., ruled Friday that the potential downside of expanding short-term plans is “minimal” and “benefits are undeniable” for some consumers. He found that the Trump administration had the legal authority to issue rules last year making the plans more attractive to customers, according to AP.
The Association for Community Affiliated Plans, an insurer group that filed the lawsuit against the administration, plans to appeal.
Alex Aza, secretary of health and human services called the ruling “a clear victory” for patients.
Includes reporting from The Associate Press