The #MeToo movement has sent dozens of once-powerful men in Hollywood into exile, but it has yet to put many of them in handcuffs or jail cells.

It’s becoming increasingly apparent that the lack of criminal charges may remain the norm.

FILE – In this Sept. 25, 2018 file photo, Bill Cosby is escorted out of the Montgomery County Correctional Facility in Eagleville, Pa., following his sentencing to three-to-10-year prison sentence for sexual assault. Harvey Weinstein has been charged with sexual assault in New York and Cosby has been sent to prison in Pennsylvania in the year since stories on Weinstein in The New York Times and The New Yorker set off waves of revelations of sexual misconduct in Hollywood. But those two central figures have been exceptions. (AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma, File)

A task force launched last year by Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey to handle the surge in allegations against entertainment figures has considered cases against nearly two dozen men, but none have been charged.

In this Friday, Oct. 5, 2018 photo, Melissa Schuman poses for a photo in Los Angeles. The #MeToo movement has sent dozens of once-powerful Hollywood players into exile, but few of them have been placed in handcuffs or jail cells. And it’s increasingly apparent that the lack of criminal charges may remain the norm. “For me it was not necessarily closure, but one of the healthiest things I’ve ever done for myself,” said Schuman, whose case dating to 2003 against Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was rejected over the statute of limitations. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

In the overwhelming majority of cases, prosecutors cite the fact that the statute of limitations has expired.

In this Friday, Oct. 5, 2018 photo, Melissa Schuman poses for a photo in Los Angeles. The #MeToo movement has sent dozens of once-powerful Hollywood players into exile, but few of them have been placed in handcuffs or jail cells. And it’s increasingly apparent that the lack of criminal charges may remain the norm. “For me it was not necessarily closure, but one of the healthiest things I’ve ever done for myself,” said Schuman, whose case dating to 2003 against Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was rejected over the statute of limitations. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Advocates and even some accusers say the lack of charges isn’t a concern. They cite the willingness of police and prosecutors to listen to their allegations and take them seriously as progress.

Source: The Associated Press

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.