The top security agency in China has already urged the regime to start a “crackdown” on “hostile forces.” The Guardian reported on November 30 that the U.S. and Canada had asked China to refrain from using force against demonstrators opposing COVID-19 lockdowns.

Starting on November 5, there had been a number of protests and clashes with the police in Haizhu. This was also the site of the most recent protests in a wave of civil disobedience that has escalated significantly.

Videos shared on social media showed security forces late on November 29 in hazmat suits, shoulder to shoulder moving down a street in Haizhu district as glass smashed around them and they hid behind riot shields. Many screams can be heard in the background. Objects were being thrown at the police and many protesters were detained by authorities.

Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the National Security Council in the White House, John Kirby said that the U.S. supported nonviolent demonstrators. 

He told CNN, “We don’t want to see protesters physically harmed, intimidated, or coerced in any way. That’s what peaceful protest is all about and that’s what we have continued to stand up for whether it’s in China or Iran or elsewhere around the world.”

Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, echoed, “Everyone in China should be allowed to express themselves, should be allowed to share their perspectives, and indeed protest.” 
Trudeau added, “We’re going to continue to ensure that China knows we’ll stand up for human rights, we’ll stand with people who are expressing themselves.”

Hugh Yu, who said that he participated in the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and now lives in Canada, called on Canadians and the Canadian government to speak out against China’s actions. 

When it comes to the protesters in China, Yu said, “A lot of people don’t want to die in silence.”
He added, “I don’t want to stand here and speak to you guys. But I have no choice.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.