A Taipei-based television news channel has confirmed its mistake and apologized for wrongly broadcasting about war erupting between Taiwan and China on the morning of April 20.
Accordingly, the Chinese Television System (CTS), a TV network partially owned by the Taiwanese government, ran a ticker along the screen bottom at 7 a.m. local time on April 20. The ticker said that Beijing had attacked several areas of New Taipei city.
Some of the graphics read,
“New Taipei City has been hit by a Chinese Communist guided missile. Ships in Taipei Port have exploded, damaging facilities,”
“Banqiao Station is reported to have been set on fire by explosives placed by special forces.”
CTS released a correction notice and public apology on its bulletin board and social media page a few hours later.
According to Taiwan news, the apology said the mistake came from relevant staff members. They mistakenly broadcasted the text from disaster drills messages that the New Taipei City Fire Department provided as news crawl content. The New Taipei City Fire Department appointed CTS to record the disaster-prevention video.
Shortly after, the Ministry of Culture also released an apology on its official website. The Ministry stated that it would require CTS to file the incident report and demand no repetition.
At the same time, the Minister of National Defense, Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正), announced an on-demand meeting on the same day. The Ministry stated that it would react quickly and investigate to confirm its accuracy if it received controversial intelligence.
China has repeatedly upgraded its military, diplomatic, and economic pressure on Taiwan in recent years. The People’s Liberation Army increased its flights into Taiwan’s air-defense identification to almost 1,000 sorties last year.