Shanghai on Sunday reported its first locally transmitted infection of the Omicron subvariant BA.5. According to the Wall Street Journal, since then, the financial hub city has adopted two rounds of mass testing between Tuesday and Thursday in more than nine districts.
Under China’s ‘zero COVID’ policy, Shanghai citizens are now concerned about another round of citywide lockdowns, which could send them back into isolation like the previous months-long lockdown.
According to Taiwanese media Central News Agency, following the news of a new Omicron subvariant case found in Shanghai, there were rumors that authorities would impose “Hundred Days of Action,” which could put the city of nearly 25 million under lockdown and control again next week. Shanghai authorities then denied the rumors, adding that there was no such thing.
Chinese media Xin Tang Ren had a phone interview with some Shanghai citizens.
Mr. Wang, a Shanghai citizen, said that people were panicking and helpless. He said that people want the government to notify them before sealing off the city so that they have time to buy essentials.
Mr. Wang said he received two messages saying he passed by the high-risk zone. However, he said that he didn’t go anywhere. He then asked his relatives, and they said they all received the same messages. He said the messages were to scare people.
Ms. Lan, another citizen of Shanghai, said her children now prepare food for her. She said that the Chinese regime asked people to do nucleic acid tests. And that they can’t go out unless they do it. She added that in Chinese society today, reasonable things have no place.
Back on March 28, Shanghai announced a two-stage lockdown as authorities attempted to curb the spread of the pandemic. The lockdowns were supposed to last until April 5. However, lockdowns remain in place until the beginning of June. During this period, many people continuously complained about the severe shortage of food and other essentials. Some even struggled to access medical care.