In an interview with French sports media L’Equipe, Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai revealed that she met Thomas Bach, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) president, at the Beijing Winter Olympics on Feb. 7, according to AFP. 

In the interview, she said that she and Bach had dinner together on Saturday, Feb. 5, they had a good discussion and exchange of ideas. During the interview, Peng also announced her retirement plan from her professional sporting career. 

She also spoke with two reporters at a hotel in the so-called “Olympic Bubble,” but she was accompanied by Wang Kan, an official from the Chinese Olympic Committee. In the interview, Peng said that Bach asked her if she was thinking about playing again, her plans, what she would do, and so on.

Noticeably, Peng said she has never accused anyone of sexually assaulting her, and she also said that she has never disappeared from the public. Previously, Peng once dismissed the claims of the sexual allegation, but concerns were raised about whether she was allowed to speak freely.

According to the IOC statement on Feb. 7, Peng and Bach had dinner together at the Olympic Club in Beijing on Feb. 5, along with former IOC Athletes’ Commission chairperson and IOC member Kirsty Coventry. In addition, the statement mentioned that Peng attended the ice hockey match between China and Norway.

The statement did not mention Peng Shuai’s allegations of sexual assault.

Peng, a three-time Olympian, posted on China’s Sina Weibo account in early November last year, revealing that Zhang Gaoli, 76, had forced her into sex and that the two had an incestuous relationship. The post was deleted 20 minutes after it was published, and she lost contact with the outside world.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.