As of December 14, Hong Kong will allow international passengers to visit restaurants and bars within their first three days of arrival. 

According to Reuters, travelers would no longer be subject to COVID movement restrictions or be denied access to public venues. In addition, it has also removed a mandatory COVID mobile application.

The decision of the global financial hub to remove some of its last COVID restrictions may boost the resumption of travel and business.

Previously, international travelers arriving in Hong Kong were given an amber code. This code prevented them from eating or drinking inside bars and restaurants for the first three days.

Chief Executive John Lee said in a televised briefing on December 13 that people arriving from abroad would be allowed into all venues starting on December 14 as long as they have negative COVID test results. 

Health Secretary Lo Chung-mau told a later press briefing, “After arriving in HK, international arrivals don’t have any restrictions. So the same day they step off the aircraft they are free to enter any premises.”

According to The Financial Times, the government’s move follows Beijing’s U-turn on its zero-COVID policy this month. 

A 7.5 million-person city- Hong Kong reported 14,717 new cases on December 13.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.