Since China abruptly eased its COVID restrictions earlier this month, new COVID cases have sparked like wildfire in this country. Hospitals are overcrowded, and unprepared residents scramble for medicines. In recent days, various parts of the mainland have seen long waiting lines at the entrance of several funeral parlors. 

Due to a surge in demand, the official WeChat account of the Guangzhou Civil Affairs Bureau on December 24 announced the postponement of funeral services until January 10, 2023.

On December 27, multiple videos uploaded on Twitter showed crowds of people lining up at the Guangzhou Yinhe Yuan funeral home gate.

According to the man who filmed the video, more than 100 people were in line when he arrived at 4 a.m.

The long waiting line at Yinhe Yuan funeral home happened for several days. Some netizens said that the line was about two-kilometer long, with some people carrying stools to sit on while waiting.

Chinese media Xin Tang Ren cited public information that Yinhe Yuan’s address is 418 Yanling Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou City. It handles more than 30,000 corpses annually and contains 16 modern cremation furnaces.

Recently, a large number of funeral homes across China have been overloaded. 

A video reportedly from an underground parking garage in Anshan, Liaoning, shows several coffins placed all over the floor.

Another video shows a room full of corpses wrapped in blue bags. It can be seen from the video that there was no space left in the room. 

Netizens who uploaded the video said it was filmed at a hospital in Shanghai.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.