As Sina reported, on February 27, Covid-19 in Hong Kong is on the rise again. There were 26,026 new confirmed cases, including seven imported cases, while the rest were local infections. So far, a total of 158,683 people have been infected in this round of the epidemic.
TVB News reported on Feb. 27 that currently there are 3,000 body compartments in public hospital mortuaries and 1,350 body storage spaces in the Department of Health’s three public mortuaries. The authorities said that both are close to saturation. The Hospital Authority admitted that the bodies of some of the newly crowned deceased were left in the acute care wards.
The public hospital’s mortuary is full, and the emergency room is stranded.
The chief physician of the Infectious Diseases Division of the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health of Hong Kong, Ou Jiarong (欧家荣), said 83 more patients aged between 19 and 100 have died.
He said the number of confirmed cases is at a record high and can rise further in a short period of time. He urged Hong Kong people to stay at home and take precautions as much as possible.
Chan Kwok-Shing (陳國誠), chairman of the Hospital Authority (醫院管理局) Staff Front, said that he worried that the situation would continue to worsen because of the serious shortage of manpower in the A&E department (also known as emergency department).
The Hospital Authority said that the number of patients who died from Covid-19 increased significantly due to cold weather, which caused serious complications and deaths in the past two weeks. Some of the bodies waiting to be transferred to the Department of Health public mortuary also need to be temporarily stored in public hospitals, increasing the pressure on public hospital mortuaries.